Saturday, April 24, 2010

one thing revelation

I've been having trouble sleeping for awhile now. Especially the last few weeks during tax season crunch. I would work 10 and 11 hour days and then lay awake all night long, get up with the alarm and do it all over again. I was so physically tired, but mentally hyper active. My mind races and I over-analyze anything and everything...how do you shut down your brain? I wish there was an on/off switch for that thing! I prayed about how to stop thinking so I could go to sleep. Here's my revelation from God:

"You need to fill your mind with something besides your thoughts."
Okay, like what?
"Memorize Scripture. Start with Psalm 27."

That was last Monday, so I memorized about half of the Psalm that day, and the difference was unbelievable. I felt such a peace. I still had to endure the last craziness of tax season, so my situation didn't change, but my heart did. I started sleeping again. I quoted the Psalm until I fell asleep and each time I woke up during the night. Now I can control my thoughts. I am almost back to sleeping through the whole night!!! What a big girl, lol! :)

Now for the "one thing" part. Verse 4 of Psalm 27 says:

"One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple."

Even in the midst of a million other things going on at work, in my life, at home, at church, etc., there is only ONE THING that matters. ONE THING is my focus. ONE THING is my desire. One thing, one thing, ONE THING!!! That was so freeing to me...

I can't really explain what happened to me, so this probably isn't making sense to anyone, but I feel a new freedom and release from worry, guilt, pressure, burdens, and stress.

......

So anywho, yes, I am still alive, and soooo grateful to be back to a normal work schedule. I'm telling you, 8 hours is a short work day!! And wow did this week go by fast.

Last weekend was fun, I was house-sitting/dog-sitting for the chief and his wife who were out of town; so it was a nice, quiet retreat that felt like a present for me right from heaven! :) My friends also had a surprise "end-of-tax-season" party for me; I got to go car shopping with my dad (and yes, I am getting another Mustang); and I even got to have a grilled hamburger, which is one thing I've been craving! So it was beautiful reminder of how good God is to me. :)

No comments: