Sunday, November 4, 2012

daring to love

Ephesians 5:21
Submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Ephesians 6:5-8
Slaves, obey your earthly master with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free.

These verses are very convicting to me right now. I should respect others and seek to serve them, not because they are worthy or have earned it, but out of reverence for Christ my Messiah. He is honored when I serve in humility.

I must dare to love...Love when I am not loved back. Love when I am rejected. Love on God's terms, not mine. Love without receiving anything in return. Love with reckless abandon.

It is very difficult for me to do that (understatement of the year). I think - I know - the motives of my heart are wrong. I am still being selfish and acting in the flesh. This season is revealing just how yucky my heart really is. The layers are being peeled back and it ain't pretty. The fleshly part of me is not someone that I like. At all. Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.

This makes me even more grateful for Christ's love for me. His love is constant, often the only thing I have to hold on to. His love never fails, never gives up, never runs out on me.

And I need it so desperately. Oh for more of Jesus, so there will be less of me!

Luke 6:27-30
But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.

No comments: