Well, I survived Thanksgiving and Black Friday. It was actually better than I was expecting. I had prepared myself for the worst, since I am an eternal pessimist, and was quite surprised at how calm it seemed. The worst part of the holiday was the fact that I was alone. My family left Wednesday, except for Kaley, who must have felt sorry for me and stayed to keep me company. Kaley and I left early Thursday morning so we could make it to the family dinner by noon. So, basically, I spent 8 hours on the road Thanksgiving day, all for a turkey dinner. I didn’t even get to see my other family members who are too far away… Dad came back with me Thursday night because he was leaving for a trip Friday morning. I worked Friday and Saturday which were both long days; the time seemed to creep by. I went to church all by myself on Sunday. I don’t think there’s anything worse than being alone, especially going to church alone. It’s just not the same. Sunday School wasn’t that bad, but then I walked into the auditorium, and someone was sitting in our pew!!!! How dare they! I found a seat on the other side of the auditorium in a group of older people. That looked safe enough. I asked the lady if anyone was sitting there, and she said no, so I sat down. She then stared at me and discussed me with her neighbor for the next 10 minutes. That just made my day (not!). It was quite unnerving. I hate it when people do that, but that’s what you get for being “the new girl.” You would think I would be used to that since I’ve been the new girl basically all my life, but I just can’t stand it. So, anyway, I’m sitting there deeply engrossed in the bulletin (yeah right) while they continue their scrutinizing. Come on, Pastor Johnny, isn’t it about time to start the service?? I was just praying they would skip the welcome because I certainly didn’t feel like shaking their hands and trying to make polite conversation. I just wanted to be left alone. Then, to my great relief, another older lady came up and sat in between me and Lady #1. Yes! Now she can’t stare at me anymore!! Just about that time, Lady #1 whispered something to New Lady, and New Lady turned and stared at me. What could be worse??? I felt like I was being shunned. Thankfully, the service finally got started and the staring stopped, so I was able to concentrate on the message. sigh The story of my life…
I took my first two bookkeeping exams on Monday and passed both of them. Yay! That relieved some stress. Now I just have four more exams. Please pray that I can find an office job. My current job is becoming more stressful for me, and I am really ready to stop living this nightmare. I’m sticking with it until after the Christmas season, but I have no reason to be tied down to it after that. I’m ready to be free.
2 comments:
Oh, poor Lauren! Those ladies in church must not have been used to having young people volunteer to sit by them!
As far as an office job goes, I guess you could always start your own MK business or something! It's still retail, I know, but it's an idea, anyway.
Sorry you were so lonesome over Thanksgiving. If it makes you feel better, we missed you, too.
Love ya!
~ Bandy
So glad you survived, Lauren!! Thinking about you!
Post a Comment