





Kids, this is why you should always keep your room clean lol! Actually, their room didn't look this bad before the fire, we kinda trashed it while digging through stuff.

















It was bitterly cold that week. We had to dig through stuff while there were snow flurries coming down. I had about 5 layers on in this picture.


We had to dig through the pile of ashes, boards, and insulation that the firemen threw out the window. The pile had toys, bedsheets, and other belongings in it.


My sister kept this Bible; she cleaned it off and dried it out with a hair dryer. And yes, it still smells like smoke!



Apparently, this clock stopped at the time the fire started.

The days that followed the fire were probably the most difficult of my life up to that point. The hardest part about it was that I felt like I had no one to talk to. My dad was across the world in another country, so my mom had to carry the weight of it all by herself, dealing with insurance, cleaners, moving, and more. I didn’t feel the freedom to talk to her, because I felt like I was supposed to be there for her, and help her carry the burden. She had to comfort the other kids, so I believed it was my duty to be strong for her. Many days, she was the only reason I got out of bed and kept moving: Mom needed me. However, I didn’t even talk about my feeling to anyone else. When people would ask me how we were doing or if we had lost a lot of things, I would force a smile and say we were doing fine, and we didn’t really lose very much, so we were blessed. But inside, I was hurting, crying, and wondering if I would ever laugh again. I would secretly say to myself, “If this is what ‘blessed’ feels like, I don’t think I want it!” I had never been so physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted in my life, but that was a turning point in my relationship with Christ. Although I didn’t talk about what I was going through with anyone else, I was completely honest with God. Up until then, I don’t think I was really honest with God about my feelings, which is silly because He knows exactly what I’m thinking or feeling anyway. Somehow, I thought that if I told God that life was hard, and I was hurting, I would be rebelling against Him, or I would make Him mad. Through the experience of the fire, I started understanding that God wants us to bring everything to Him, and even if we come to Him upset, hurt, or angry, that’s okay, because He’s God and He can handle it. So that’s what I did; I came to Him, and told Him how much it hurt that I didn’t have a home, that I had to go through this pain, that I felt so alone. Everyday… multiple times a day. And I discovered that He welcomed me with open arms. God loves it when His children trust Him enough to tell Him what they are feeling. After that experience, He also started working on me to be honest with others. I’m not a very open person; over the years I had become very good at hiding my feelings and stuffing them all down inside, but I’m trying to get better about being open and sharing with people.
Here’s what I wrote in my journal one month after the fire:
· I feel at least two years older
· I have felt a sense of confusion, loss, hopelessness, pain, despair, agony, and loneliness that I have not felt before
· I have realized how temporal and meaningless “stuff” is
· I have longed for heaven and a house that can’t be destroyed
· I have grown even closer to Jesus and learned to trust Him in a new way
· I have learned that it is possible to sleep standing up!!
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
~1 Peter 4:12
4 comments:
wow, Lauren! i guess i didn't know how bad it was. isn't it amazing how God uses such trials to teach us things we would have never known?
love and miss you girls!
Lauren,
I had no idea that all that was going on inside you! Just for future reference, you can always talk to me if you want! I'm glad you came to depend on God, though. He's the One person who's always available, and closer than anybody else, too. :)
Love ya! ~ B.
Hey Rachel! It's so good to hear from you!!! I haven't forgotten you. Keep in touch!
~Lauren
this was a good post, I can relate in that I have had a time in my life where I felt exactly the same way, I can't share the situation because it's very personal but that seemed to make it harder because I couldn't talk to anyone. I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did but I am grateful that it made you a better stronger person and I am very proud of the way you learned to handle the pain and exhaustion. Many blessings to you lauren.
-Amy
Post a Comment