Saturday, September 5, 2009

my only chance

In my devotion a few days ago, I had a revelation. I don’t know why I have never had this perspective before, but I guess I had just never really thought about it this way:

This life here on earth is my only chance to suffer for Christ.

I’ve been longing for heaven because there won’t be any more pain or suffering, but that also means that my only chance to do something for Christ is here on this planet. I’m not talking about trying to earn my salvation, but when I get to heaven, I want to be able to have something to lay at the feet of Jesus. I want my God to say “Well done, Lauren. I’m proud of you for carrying your cross.”

Not even the angels get the chance to live on earth and suffer for God. That is for us humans alone. Can I not endure it for this brief life? What is suffering on earth compared to eternity in fellowship with God?

If you, with impatience, give up your cross,
You will not find it in this world again;
Nor in another, but here and here alone
Is given for you to suffer for God’s sake
.
In the next world we may more perfectly
Love Him and serve Him, praise Him,
Grow nearer and nearer to Him with delight.
But then we will not anymore
Be called to suffer, which is our assignment here.
Can you not suffer, then, one hour or two?
If He should call you from your cross today,
Saying, “It is finished—that hard cross of yours
From which you pray for deliverance,”
Do you not think that some emotion of regret
Would overcome you? You would say
“So soon? Let me go back and suffer yet awhile
More patiently. I have not yet praised God.”
So whenever it comes, that summons we all look for
It will seem soon, too soon. Let us take heed in life
That God may now be glorified in us.


~From "Streams in the Desert"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog with some difficulty. You sound so depressed. I'm not sure what may be happening around you but I know that God doesn't intend for us to suffer. I'll pray that God will show you that your personal plans and dreams aren't necessarily outside His will for your life. Uncle Skip

Anita said...

Lauren, I am really concerned about you. This doesn't sound like the abundant life that God has promised us. I want you to stop reading Streams in the Desert and start reading Psalms. Follow David's example of an enemy attack. I'm glad you are blogging again, but not like this.....I love you!

Anonymous said...

Please don't let anything rob you of the JOY of your salvation. Every day is a gift. Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say REJOICE. Please start looking every day for the good in that day instead of the bad. One of your Great Grandma Ayres' favorite scriptures was in Phil. 4:11 For I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. Did you get that "I have LEARNED" means an ongoing educational experience. We love you and are praying for you.
Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

"I walked a while with Pleasure;
She chattered all the way,
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a while with Sorrow,
And nary a word said she,
But oh, the things I learned from her
When sorrow walked with me."
~ Streams in the Desert
~ B.