There is no feeling quite like the relief I felt yesterday when my Dad flew home from war. Catching the first glimpse of the plane coming through the clouds, watching the tires touch down on American soil, seeing their buddies walk out on the flight line to meet them, looking through the window as my dad steps off the bus, and then seeing him walk through the door. He’s home. I have a dad again. Joy unspeakable.
There’s no feeling quite like the emotion I felt as they did roll call. After every name came one simple, yet powerful word: “here.” Spoken from all over the room. They all made it home. Thank You, Jesus!
There’s nothing quite like watching the uncertain and curious gaze of a 10 month old as her dad picks her up and holds her close. You can read it in her eyes: Who is this strange man and why is he smiling at me and touching my nose?
This is what it means to be an American. My sacrifice of a few months without a dad seems so small compared to the huge sacrifice of others who will never get their dad, brother, son, husband, sister, mom, wife, or daughter back.
Countless heroes have died for you and given up the things you take for granted every day. How will you use your freedom?
Never forget, America.
2 comments:
Very good Lauren, it sent chills down my spine.
Thanks, Whitney! I know you understand the sacrifice...thanks for sharing your dad with America.
Post a Comment