Saturday, October 10, 2009

No Vacancy

My friend shared this story with me last Saturday; she heard it from a coworker who either saw it on Candid Camera or heard it from someone else who saw it…I’m not really sure, but it was on an episode of Candid Camera. It totally blew me away when I heard it, and I just had to share…

A coffee shop had a sign outside which read “National No-Change-Day.” The camera showed customers paying for their orders. The cashier would put their money in the drawer and close it without giving any change back. The customers got very upset about this, but the cashier would calmly point out the sign and explain that it was “National No-Change-Day.” This didn’t seem to appease the customers.

Eventually, one customer came in, ordered some coffee, and paid with a twenty. After watching the cashier put his money in the register and then close the drawer, he asked if he was going to get any change back. She once again explained the unique holiday, to which he simply replied, “Okay” and got his coffee and walked out. The other customers who were livid about getting “ripped off” followed him out and asked why he didn’t get upset about this.

He said, “I decided a long time ago that I wasn’t going to let anyone rent space in my mind.”


Wow. Do you realize the power of that mindset?? It really sank in on Monday when I went to work. A couple of my coworkers came in my office and asked if I heard about what happened Friday when I was gone. They explained that one of my coworkers (Coworker A) came upstairs Friday morning and noticed that my office was dark and I was gone. She immediately investigated and found out from one of my other coworkers (Coworker B) that I had taken the day off to go the zoo with my friends. What I didn’t realize was that Coworker A had asked for the day off, but didn’t get it. Sooo, Coworker A was basically furious that I got the day off to go to the zoo. She promptly went around the office and made sure that everyone knew what I had done and that it wasn’t fair. She apparently was yelling and cussing and throwing a tantrum.

When I heard this, several things went through my mind: I was sorry I had to ruin everyone’s day by unknowingly making Coworker A mad; I felt guilty about taking a day off to do something fun; I felt hurt that she would take my good name and smear it in the mud by saying things about me that were untrue and cussing me out behind my back; I was dreading the confrontation and interrogation that would surely follow.

I felt like my whole day and week were ruined. What a way to start off Monday! I sank back in my chair, good feelings gone. Then, I heard God say to me, “You don’t have to let it ruin your day or week. Don’t let anyone rent space in your mind.”

Immediately, I felt a weight come off my shoulders. “You’re right! I don’t have to let her ruin my day.” What a freedom. I am now determined not to let anyone rent space in my mind.

I’ve had to work with some challenging people who love to do whatever they can to make me miserable, and they are quite good at it!! But I’m not going to give them the satisfaction of succeeding. I vividly remember something my mom told me years ago. At the time, I was having trouble getting along with a certain sibling who I thought was so annoying, and this simple statement she made has forever changed my life: If you can learn to get along with (insert sibling name), you can get along with anyone in this world.

That is so true. You see, the problem wasn’t really my sibling…I was the problem!!! I had to learn how to get along with people no matter how much they annoyed me or made me mad. What my mom told me is so true. God gave me this sibling to teach me this lesson. He knew I needed to learn how to get along with anyone. I’m so thankful I learned that before I had coworkers. I can see the importance of learning this while you’re young; you definitely have to have this getting-along thing down.

Just for the record, my coworkers are much worse than my sibs, and I now get along with my family just fine!

Hope this has helped you get rid of some of your “renters.” Be free!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

that is so good, I hope to remember to not have "renters". thanks for sharing Lauren!

Lauren said...

You're welcome, Amy!! It had such an impact on me I just had to share. Thanks for your comments, I was beginning to wonder what I was going to do to get people to respond lol jk!!