Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Playing Dress-Up

I did my first tax return on Friday. If you think that has nothing to do with the title of this post, just keep reading. :)

I may have the title of “Accountant” but I am pretty much clueless when it comes to taxes (and actually, there's nothing pretty about it lol). My education and experience to this point have only covered financial statements, bank reconciliations, payroll and payroll taxes, analytical reviews, and introduction to auditing. I wasn’t sure that I wanted to get into the tax side of it because, to be honest, it’s rather intimidating to me. So when they decided to give me some “practice” returns, I tried not to flip out. They wanted me to get used to the system so I would be able to follow along in the tax class next week.

When I got home Friday, I told mom I felt like a five-year old girl playing dress-up. It almost felt like I was pretending to be an accountant. I was sitting in front of my computer going “Hmm…what would happen if I push this button? Where is form 8565? What line does this deduction go on? How do I enter multiple W-2s? What in the world am I doing??”

I FELT LIKE SUCH AN IDIOT!!! I love expanding my horizons, but I must admit that I don’t always enjoy the learning process. I like to feel like I know what I’m doing lol, so when I don’t, I get stressed out. New and unfamiliar things tend to scare control freaks like myself…which is exactly why this is good for me. sigh. I hate it when things are good for me…

God has been good about pushing me outside my box these last 15 months. I’m amazed when I think of all the things I’ve already learned since I started working here. I’m sure in time, I’ll be more comfortable with tax returns. Until then, I’ll just have to keep asking stupid questions lol! :)



Okay, I just couldn’t resist, I had to post these pics from my “big” brother’s bday party. Thought you might enjoy them lol! And yes, he weighs more than I do, so technically he is my big brother, which is cool because I always wanted a big brother. :)




The many faces of Christopher Mills...






He's such a dork! (Don't worry, we use that as a term of endearment around our house. If we say you are a dork, that means we think you're hilarious and we love you. )



Yeah, he got this for his birthday. Guess what met me when I came home from work today...
A-M-B-U-S-H

No comments: