Wednesday, April 20, 2011

not a happy camper

I got three hours of sleep last night. I woke up suddenly when I heard noises and I have been a bit on the uneasy side lately so of course I was instantly wide awake with all senses on the alert. I spent the next hour trying to calm myself down again. Then the noises came again, and I finally realized what was going on. Something (I'm hoping it was only a mouse) was moving around up in my attic and crawling down inside my walls. How nice of it to pick my bedroom as it's hangout for the night. And the only wall it was crawling down was the one right by the head of my bed of course.

I tried everything: banging on the walls, telling it to leave, turning the lights on, playing music. It seemed quite undeterred from its nocturnal activities. After 30 minutes, I gave up and moved into the living room to take up residence on the couch, and that is where I spent the rest of the night. I may have dozed off a couple times, but sleep avoided me thanks to that unseen busy creature and the traffic outside on the highway.

It was a very frustrating night and I have to admit that I was sooo mad. Losing sleep tends to make me feel that way. Sleep is a precious thing and I don't operate very well when I go without it. Of course, I have already been sleep-deprived because of the whole break-in episode, so last night I was pretty upset about being unable to sleep in my own house because of that and a stupid mouse.

And today was not a good day at work. When it rains it pours, ya know?

I bought traps tonight so I can maybe catch this...whatever it is and (maybe?) catch up on some sleep. I am so tired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That totally happened to me once...when Charles was out of town and therefore couldn't patrol the house for me, of course. I usually stay up really late when he's gone, so when I go to bed I can (hopefully) go to sleep quickly instead of spending time listening to things that go bump in the night. :) Well, one night I was almost asleep on the couch and heard a scratching noise. Yeah, I thought someone was breaking in and tearing through a window screen. I ended up grabbing my pistol, calling my mom, and keeping her on the line with me while I turned on ALL the outside lights and checked everything. It was probably over an hour before I stopped shaking and calmed down enough to actually try to go to sleep again.

The culprit? A mouse in the kitchen. I discovered a partially-eaten banana and piece of peppermint taffy (maybe to avoid morning breath? :) ) on the COUNTER, no less. I obsessively sanitized everything and we set traps that night. Ended up getting 6 mice before it was all said and done. That's when we started thinking seriously about getting the cats we have now. :)

All that to say, I know what it's like to lose sleep over a little creature who's less than a hundredth your size...I feel your pain!
~Lindsay

Lauren said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who freaks out about stuff like this! :) That mouse in your home must have been having intersting cravings, maybe it was pregnant? lol! That could be where all those mice were coming from. Glad you lived through it to tell me about it; that gives me hope!

I'm happy to report that I slept ALL NIGHT last night (which is rare for me!).

I'm going to post pics of our farm outing at your house soon (I hope!).