Monday, April 8, 2013

Boston 2013

It's hard to believe I let three weeks slip by without writing about my mission trip. I am still trying to catch up on everything since I got back. We were a group of 17 (mostly university students) from our church. We went to do outreach with the church plants in Boston, basically the same things we did last year (you can catch last year's adventures HERE).

It was such a blessing and encouragement to me to be a part of the work in Boston for a short time. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to go back; I wasn't sure I would be able to go a few months ago, but God worked things out so I could.

We worked with Hope Fellowship, the original church plant, and two other church plants - Mosaic Boston and Redemption Hill Church. You can get more info HERE. We handed out granola bars and packs of gum around T-stops (subway stops) to spread the word about the churches. One day alone, our group interacted with 2,000 people in the space of a couple hours!! It was so encouraging to hear how God has used mission teams like us to bring people to the churches. God truly multiplies our efforts when we take the step of faith and plant the seed. They are also in the process of starting another church plant!

We got snowed in one day; we woke up to 6 inches of snow on the ground! Those Bostonians know how to deal with that kind of weather. Some schools didn't even cancel classes! We Okies stayed inside - replacing ceiling tiles, sorting bags of clothes for the homeless ministry, cleaning chairs in the sanctuary, clearing snow from the parking lot, and rolling tons of coins for the local crisis pregnancy center fundraiser.

We also spent one evening cooking a meal for the homeless ministry that would serve people in Harvard Square, right outside the influential and prestigious Harvard University.

On this trip, God reminded me in a very real and tangible way how He is capable of using people who are weak. His strength is more than enough to overcome any obstacle or hindrance; His strength allowed me to continue when it would have been physically impossible. I am amazed at how He can use fragile, mortal human bodies to advance His Kingdom!

Coming up, I'll post pictures from some historical sites I got to see while we were in Boston. Stay tuned!

No comments: