Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Freedom Trail

Okay, I know these pictures are long overdue, but I wanted to share them anyway. So, without further delay - the Freedom trail in Boston:

On Sunday afternoon, we had a few hours of free time so Lacey and I decided to go on the Freedom Trail. This was something that I had wanted so badly to do last year, but was unable to. I was nearly gidding (okay, completely giddy) about getting to do it this time. In case you don't know, the Freedom Trail takes you on a walk - a long walk - thru Boston, visiting historical sites. I love history, which was why I was so excited; we didn't have a lot of time, so we couldn't do the whole thing, but I would love to go back and and do it again anyway.


The trail starts in Boston Common and the first "stop" is Massachusetts State House. Lacey and I didn't go in so I honestly can't tell you much about it, but it was a pretty building.

 
The next stop was Park Street Church, we didn't go inside it either, but as we came around the corner, I gasped (and possibly squealed) in delight. Granary Burial Ground. Where Paul Revere is buried, people!!


 
It was so weird how it was sandwiched between all these newer buildings; it felt crowded out. Cemeteries in Oklahoma are typically set apart in a field, away from city buildings. I know this cemetery was too at one time, but now it is almost ignored in the hustle and bustle of city life. It seemed almost irreverent to me, but the loud traffic noises and the annoying spring breakers became muted as I stood at the foot of Paul Revere's grave. My words fail to describe the sacredness of that moment in my life. I was in awe.
 

 
Revere's grave was toward the back of the cemetery, but once we got there and turned around, we discovered that what is now the "back" of the cemetery, actually used to be the entrance. The tombstones made a lot more sense then. :)
 
 

 
There is a special place in my heart for cemeteries. If you want to learn about life, go spend some time where dead people are buried. It always changes my perspective. It's a wonderful place to think.
"Just one life will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."
 
 
King's Chapel: a beautiful church with lots of history. It sports an ornate organ, uniquie white pine columns, and vintage box pews.
 

 
 
 
As Lacey and I wandered through the church, we noticed that one box seemed to have special significance. It had its own mini columns, ornate carvings, burgandy drapes, and special entrance. As we read the description, we learned that it was where the Governor of Massachusetts sat. What I read next eclipsed my moment at Paul Revere's grave: George Washington sat in this box when he visited Boston.
George Washington himself!!
I looked down at my feet and thought "I am standing where George Washington stood." I was transported back in time as I imagined him sitting there. White stockings, ruffled cravat, long coat with tails. I could almost feel the dignity, hear the hush of the crowd, and see life in 1700s America.
Yes, I was having a moment. It was a glorious moment.
I also thought to myself, I can't imagine what I would do if I walked where Jesus walked. Man, for that matter, what will I do when I see Jesus face to face?
 
In my picture above, you can also see box 33 next to the Governor's box; this was Paul Revere's box.
 
I have more pictures to post, but I am out of time right now so my adventures will have to be continued once again!
 

3 comments:

Kaley :) said...

Sooooooo cool!!! BTW, love the new blog look. :)

Lauren said...

You HAVE to go with me next year!!! :)

Kaley :) said...

I know! I want to.