Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dedicated Football Fan

Maybe it’s because I grew up in the southern division of the Big 12 Conference where football is everything. Maybe it’s because of the southern loyalty I have in my DNA. Maybe it’s the thrill of the sport and the excitement in the air at the games. Maybe it’s the simple fact that my brother plays.

I’m not really sure what makes me go to football games in rain, wind, and freezing weather…but I still go. Win or lose. Easy teams or tough schedules. For better or for worse. I love football. I love it even better when my team wins. And I do my level-head best to take all the trash talk my coworkers and other people dish out at me about my home state team. Dedicated loyalty is scorned these days…but I’ll try to stay off my soap box for now lol.

I’d like to introduce you to upcoming trends: Frigid Football Fashions. I have several simple steps for layering when you’re headed out to those winter weather games. You can modify the colors, of course, for your own team.



I start off with a white thermal shirt. Over that goes the team football shirt, then a hoodie (alternating between blue and red each week). Then I either wear my blue Carhart, or my red fleece-lined puffy coat. I wear microfiber tights under my jeans, and before pulling on my fur boots, I slip on some fuzzy thick socks. Then I top it all off with a hat, scarf, and gloves (in team spirit colors, of course!). I take two blankets to the games: one to sit on, and one to wrap around me. Snuggies would be a great investment for such occasions, and the retail industry knows it because they’ve already got them personalized with your school’s mascot and colors.


By the time you have all these layers on, you may find it hard to move, but try not to think about the fact that you look like a mountain of clothes sitting on the bleachers. Warmth is all that matters, right?? Besides, if you master this art, you will enter into the Dedicated Sports Fan Club. Congratulations.



Changing topics here, I would like to give a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my favorite brother, Chris!!! He will be 15 years old on Monday. I can’t believe it…my baby brother…15??? He will probably love me for saying this on the world wide web for all to see lol, but I remember changing his diapers and taking care of him when he was little. He was such a cute little boy. sigh. I love you, Bubba!

Here are some pics we took the day Dad got home. This was when we realized he was taller than Kaley. I’ve still got a couple inches on him, but I know it’s only a matter of time before he accomplishes his life-long goal: being taller than I am.





Here are some other pics from the eventful season:

Yes, there are times when even the most dedicated fan has to duck under the bleachers...I was trying to keep my camera out of the rain, okay???









6 comments:

Lindsay said...

I hear you on the football thing. I think it's in the blood for Oklahomans (I think you qualify for calling OK your home state, no matter how many places you've lived in). :)

I haven't even seen pictures of Christopher in years! HOW'D HE GET THAT OLD LOOKING? He's making me feel even older. Argh. Then I start thinking about Cubbies we helped with who are in highschool now and have facebook accounts. Double argh. And don't even get me started about my little brother being 21 with a goatee.

I used to roll my eyes whenever Mom said that life would pass by quicker as I got older. Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentlemen!

Hope your family is doing fine. Tell them I said hi.

P.S. Go Sooners! :)

Lauren said...

Lindsay!!! It's so good to hear from you; it's been way too long.

You've gotta be kidding...all those little 4 year old kids are in highschool now?? Has it been that long already? I think my heart just stopped beating...

lol, I can't picture Josh with a goatee, but that will probably be my brother in 6 years. Crazy, huh?!

I'm glad to hear you still consider me an Okie. I've been gone so long, I've been wondering if you guys would still claim me! :)

Boomer Sooner!

Anita said...

love the pics!!! you guys (especially Chris) are changing so much! even more than when you were babies!!! love you all

Lindsay said...

Well, if you think about it, I was 12 when I started working in Cubbies, and they were 4-5. So now I'm 24, which means they're *gasp* 16-17! My little Cubbies are driving cars! Yipes! And just yesterday I was singing "I'm in the Lord's Army" with them and trying to convince some to do the motions with me--Which is really hyprocritical because I never wanted to do the motions either when I was a kid. :)

Josh's goatee changes shape every little bit, too; you know, he's got to try every variation.

And, yes, we'll always be happy to claim the Mills family as certifiable Okies. :)

Lauren said...

Love you too, Aunt Anita! I'm posting more pics for you. :)

Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving...prepare yourself, Chris is taller than you are!

xoxo

Lauren said...

Ah, Lindsay, your comments make me smile. :)

Remember "Head and Shoulders" with Mr. Whitefield??? And the "snack fairies?" Such sweet memories...