Saturday, September 11, 2010

Toilet Plumbing 101

Ah yes. Those of you who have lived long enough to have experienced the joys of solving maintenance problems at your home have probably been expecting me to write about this, especially given the recent change in my situation. For your enjoyment, I bring you “Bachelorette Battles Toilet.”

10:07pm – After I flushed the toilet, the water kept running and running and running. I knew it shouldn’t take that long to fill the tank, so after rolling my eyes and muttering under my breath, I went into my adult “fix-it” mode. I pulled the lid off the tank and saw that it was almost empty. How could that be when the water has been running all this time? I pushed down, pulled up, wiggled this, and tapped that. WHY ISN’T IT WORKING??? As I am hovering over my toilet in my pajamas, I am getting frustrated. I have to pay the utility bill for all this water that is flowing so freely into my sewer lines, thank you very much! Since visions of enormous utility bills and flooded bathrooms were dancing through my mind, and all of my – ahem – expert attempts to fix the situation were not working, I did the only other thing I knew to do.

DADDY!!!!!!

I’m guessing he was slightly alarmed to hear rushing water when he picked up the phone, but I explained the situation to him, and he gave me some suggestions on what to look for and possible solutions to the problem. When that still did not work, he told me to turn the water off at the valve. As I continued scrutinizing my predicament, he told me I could take a picture of it and send it to him and maybe he could see what was wrong. Otherwise, I could just go to bed and have someone come look at it in the morning. While he was talking, I noticed that the chain was tangled up, so I managed to get it untangled (did I mention that whenever I touch a toilet I feel like I am being invaded with germs?? GROSS!) After I hung up with Dad, I turned the water back on at the valve and once again tried filling the tank up with water. It took awhile, but it finally filled up and the water stopped running. Praise the Lord! TOILET CRISIS AVERTED!!

I called Dad and told him that I had hopefully fixed the problem. That felt good. :) So I went to bed thanking God that He had helped me fix the toilet, instead of being in a bad mood because of yet another problem. Now I not only have appreciation for a shower, but also for a toilet.

Bachelorette Battles Toilet…and Toilet LOSES!

No comments: