Okay, this was another crazy day. I would like to preface the following story by saying that I had spent much time in prayer over my car situation, asking for mercy and Divine intervention (i.e. I was praying nothing major was wrong and that it would be a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix!). Here is how everything unfolded:
I made myself wait until 8:30 this morning to call the repair shop, and boy oh boy did the mechanic have news for me! He informed me that the computer on my car had completely shut down and needed to be replaced in order for the car to start running again. Oh, and he went ahead and ordered it and had it overnighted so he could put it on today. And it will cost $564.00 (without tax, shipping, or labor of course).
Really??
With shock and despair setting in, I questioned him, trying to gather more information about this huge crisis and trying to understand how this was possible. I was also upset that he had ordered the expensive part without even consulting with me first. I asked him to hold off on the installation because I needed to talk with someone else first. I then hung up and promptly called my dad, who agreed that I should take it somewhere else for a second opinion.
That was only the beginning of a series of phone calls trying to get everything worked out with my insurance for a tow truck and trying to find a nearby dealer that could get my car in before Thursday.
Meanwhile, my uncle noticed my distress and walked into the chaos of the situation to lend a helping hand. In the middle of the process, he called the repair shop where my car was currently located to try to intersect the tow truck driver to let him know we had changed our destination location. That's when the mechanic told my uncle that he had good news on my car.
Evidently, they had "discovered" that there were loose connectors and once they replaced a wire and secured everything, my car started right up and kept running. So there was no need to replace the computer after all.
Really??
I have to admit, I have my suspicions...
Call the insurance. Cancel the tow truck. Jump in the pickup, we are going to get my car.
They ONLY charged me for two hours of labor, but I was so very glad to have my car back. I paid, walked out, and drove it straight to my dad's friend who is a mechanic. I told him the whole story and asked him to check everything out for me because I knew he would be straight up with me. He seemed doubtful of the previous diagnosis too, and looked my car over thoroughly: fuel filter, fuel pump, connectors, etc. Everything was fine and he told me not to be afraid to drive it; he also refused to let me pay him for checking it out.
It was such a welcome relief; I am so glad I didn't have to spend $750 to replace something that wasn't even broken.
Today brought me these blessings that I am grateful for:
-nothing major was wrong with my car
-my dad's friend didn't charge me anything
-my uncle helped me get through the day
-I got to go to the store to buy food!
(there are four, Amy!)
4 comments:
:) yay!
Hey Miss Lauren! I have been trying to contact you and your family but the numbers I have for you are not working. :( could you email me? rachael.werner@gmail.com
Thanks!
P.Ss I love reading your blog. :)
Hey Rachael!
Thanks for reading; glad you enjoy!
I sent you our updated info! :)
Lauren, you will learn (or are learning) that sometimes people take advantage of single women. So be aware. It has happened to me more than once. Always ask for God's wisdom in every situation. He has promised to give wisdom freely every time you ask!
Post a Comment