Sunday, June 5, 2011

Meet Mr. J. Henningway

He's a sheriff. I met him today on my way home from church.

Here's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth:

The speed limit had just changed to 65 so I accelerated to that rate and then set my cruise, like I always do. Right about that time, I saw a sheriff coming from the other direction. He did a u-turn behind me and here are some of my thoughts from the next seconds: "Oh, he's going to get someone! But there's no one in front of me...why is he following me? I haven't done anything. He's getting closer...surely not..."

And then the lights. Oh the lights. They've never been for ME before. Not once. (Unless you count the police escort my mom had to the hospital when she was in labor with me...)

I slowed down, put my blinker on, and began pulling off the road; hoping, praying that he would fly right on by. Not happening. He stayed right with me as I slowed to a stop on the shoulder. I wanted to get off the road completely, but there was nowhere to go. So I set my parking brake and waited. A million things were running through my head.

My tag was not expired. I was not driving recklessly. I was innocent!!!

My heart was pounding as he came up to my window, but I maintained my poise. He leaned down and rested his arm on my door (excuse me??) and said in a satisfied tone: Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

I was expecting him to ask for my DL and my insurance verification so I was caught off guard.

I was going the speed limit, of course!! What a stupid question.

My actual reply: 65. (in an even tone)

He replied with a triumphant smirk: I clocked you at 83.

My mouth dropped open. I couldn't help it. I'm sure the color drained from my face too. I was speechless.

What in the world??? There is no way I was going 83. My cruise control was set at 65 and even if my speedometer is off a little (perish the thought!) it would not be off by 18 mph!!! I was suddenly faced with a HUGE problem. How do you tell an officer he is wrong and his radar gun is wrong?? I had noboby in the car with me - no witness. That moment was frozen in time for me as I tried to figure out how to begin to formulate a persuasive argument. I could see the ticket, the fines, the court, the judge...I was FREAKING OUT. Why would he accuse me of such a thing? I would like to think that an officer would be able to tell the difference between a car going 65 and a car going 83. Is this a nightmare? This isn't really happening to me, right? Jesus, help!!

I stared at him. I knew he was waiting for an answer. I finally found my voice.

"Sir, [I kept my tone very respectful] I had my cruise set at 65."

His tone changed immediately. He stood up and backed away from my car with his hands in the air. "Okay, that's fine. You're ok. You just showed up on my radar at 83."

Me: nervous laugh of relief Okay, good. There is no way I was going 83. I had my cruise on at 65.

Sheriff: Alright, it's fine. You can go ahead. Have a good day. Be safe.

Me: Thank you, Sir.

I watched him walk back to his car. Okay, what just happened? That was weird...and a little creepy. I was shaking as I pulled out on the highway and drove away. He went the opposite direction.

Soooo....

Glitch in the radar? Intimidation method? Trying to get his quota? Liked my car? Thought I was someone else?

I have no idea. Just another reminder that even if you follow all the rules and do everything right, things still go wrong. sigh Sounds like life to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY WORD!!!

I just got my third ticket last night, the second one for being a "reckless driver", I was accused of being drunk and he told me the ticket would help me out in the long run. I just about died. I wish I could tell you everything.

I, unlike you have very bad luck when it comes to policemen ;) I am glad you didn't get a ticket though.


I liked the story, I could really visualize it happening, maybe because it did just happen last night but anyway.

Miss you,
Whitney

Lauren said...

I'm so sorry, Whit!!! How would getting a ticket help you in the long run??

I'm so grateful he didn't give me a ticket; that situation could have turned into a nightmare!

Miss you too!!

Anita said...

I think he was just hitting on you. You handled it very well.