Day 4 Ephesians 2:11-22
vs. 12 - [Remember] that you were at that time separated (living apart) from Christ [excluded from all part in Him], utterly estranged and outlawed from the rights of Israel as a nation, and strangers with no share in the sacred compacts of the [Messianic] promise [with no knowledge of or right in God's agreements, His covenants]. And you had no hope (no promise); you were in the world without God.
Separated. Exluded. Outlawed. A foreigner.
I think back to times in my life when I have felt like that, at least to some degree. All the times that we moved...I've been "the new girl" most of my life. Ever get tired of explaining who you are, where you came from, and what you are doing in their territory? What about that invitation you didn't get to the big event? Or the awkward moment when you are un-invited to something. How about being the last one picked for a team? Ever visited a foreign country and felt like you were an elephant in a giraffe exhibit? (no? okay moving on...) Remember what it's like in an old western when the outlaw gang comes riding into town? I'll give you a hint - the music gets low and menacing, the women and children clear the streets, and the sheriff looks down his nose at the dusty lawbreakers.
Hopefully you get my point. I'm sure everyone one can relate at some point in their life.
None of that compares to the massive chasm that separates us from God and His sacred covenant and promises. Wait, no...separated. Don't miss the past tense.
vs. 13 - But now in Christ Jesus, you who once were [so] far away, through (by, in) the blood of Christ have been brought near.
And then, get this...
vs. 14 - For He is [Himself] our peace (our bond of unity and harmony). He has made us both [Jew and Gentile] one [body], and has broken down (destroyed, abolished) the hostile dividing wall between us.
So here is the question:
What are walls that I see and perhaps abide by in my life?
Here's what I wrote in my journal: what other people think of me. Judgment, hostility, misunderstandings, expectations. I let it bother me wayyy more than it should. I should be more focused on what God thinks about me. I don't need all those dividing walls in my life.
Dear Jesus, tear down the walls of expectations and pressures that I feel around my life - whether they are actual or only perceived. I want to be free to follow Your calling on my life, not bound by views of others. I cannot base my value on what society says I am worth according to their standards. Their books are gonna get audited someday and it won't be pretty for them! I choose You.
No comments:
Post a Comment