Tuesday, September 23, 2008

home

I got to go home this last weekend.

It was wonderful.

As soon as I stepped out of the car, I knew I wouldn't want to leave, but when the time came to go, I discovered that I was okay with it. Or maybe I should say that God's grace made me okay with it!

I had a good visit with family and friends while I was home. My grandpa had been in the hospital last week with heart problems which was sad ;( but they put a pacemaker in and he seems to be doing well. I also got to have tons of fun with our friends from Texas who came up to escape Ike. We met them when they fled from Rita (who hit after Katrina three years ago). It's totally a God-thing. We are always sad when the have to come up to get away from hurricanes, but are glad to have the chance to fellowship.

I'm telling you, the air back home is different. When I stepped out of the car, I breathed it in deeply; when I fixed my hair, I could tell the difference. My hair had finally adjusted to the climate up here, and so it wasn't too happy about the change.

I've been so busy lately which is why I haven't posted in like a week! I hope to post again soon. I would like to say thank you again to every one of you special people who are reading this blog and praying for me. I appreciate it so much.

I'm posting an email that my sister sent out to some of her friends about a movie that's coming out this weekend. (I'm posting it in purple, since that's your signature color, Kaley!)


Dear friends (and family and acquaintances and admirers and whatever other category you choose to fall under),

Would you agree that a lot of the movies in theaters today aren’t worth watching? Would you like to stand up and tell Hollywood that we Christians don’t like seeing a lot of junk? Well, guess what, my dear friends… soon you’ll have the opportunity to do just that, and the neat thing is that it won’t take much sacrifice on your part!

I don’t know how many of you got to see FLYWHEEL or FACING THE GIANTS, but if you did, I’m sure you would agree that they were awesome movies. Sherwood Pictures recently finished their third film, FIREPROOF, a story about a firefighter whose marriage is going up in smoke. As he prepares for a divorce, he’s challenged by his father to try a 40-day experiment called “The Love Dare,” which sets him on a journey of trying to win back his wife’s heart.

Sound cheesy? Maybe. But that’s only because I’m a poor writer. If you’re at all familiar with Stephen and Alex Kendrick, then you can testify that their movies are definitely not cheesy. You all probably know what a drama queen I am and how much I love the Kendrick brothers and their movies. If you ask me (or even if you don’t—it doesn’t really matter), I think FACING THE GIANTS was outstanding.

The bottom line: FIREPROOF is a Christian movie about God’s perspective on marriage—that it’s a covenant, not a contract that can be broken when things aren’t going so well. The film’s message is that although marriage isn’t always easy, it’s worth fighting for. With divorce rates in America as high as they are, I think we would all admit that this movie is relevant to today’s audience.

So what am I saying? Go see FIREPROOF in theaters on September 26th! If you can’t go opening night, at least go opening weekend (includes Saturday the 27th and Sunday the 28th). Why? Because the movie industry considers a film successful if it does well on opening weekend. If we really want to get the message out that FACING THE GIANTS and FIREPROOF are the kind of movies we would like to see, then this is the way to do it. So if it’s absolutely impossible for you to go on opening weekend, please encourage someone else to go. Check out what the FIREPROOF guys had to say in a recent e-blast:

"Hollywood is loading up a for a huge release weekend on October 3 with as many as seven films scheduled to open in wide release. That means movie theaters will have limited "real estate" available for holdover films.The films that will remain (and be able to expand into other cities) will be the ones that have extremely strong opening-weekend sales. With FIREPROOF opening in more than 700 theaters, there needs to be overwhelming support from you and your friends to get theater circuits to keep this film playing more than one week. Are you ready to surprise Hollywood?"

I am!!! So perhaps we should plan on going to see it the weekend of October 3rd, too! That would be so awesome… but it can only happen if we make FIREPROOF a huge hit the first few days.

So why did I say at the beginning that it wouldn’t take much sacrifice on your part? Because from what I’ve heard about the movie (and what I know of the Kendrick brothers), I believe this film will be totally worth your time!

And what do I get out of all this if you guys go see the movie? Nothing, really…except the chance to see God’s Word triumph once again!

I’m sooooo excited about going to see this movie! Who will join me in the theaters?

Are you ready to surprise Hollywood?

- Kaley


For more info (such as a list of theaters in your area) go to
FireprooftheMovie.com
or my personal favorite,
fireproofthemovie.blogspot.com

P.S. Ladies, I’ve heard that you’ll need to take some Kleenexes! And, of course, be prepared to laugh, too.

No comments: