Saturday, July 10, 2010

Road Closed

I was on my way home, but had been driving around thinking about things and wasn’t quite ready to go home yet. When I got to the turn-off for our road, I felt like God wanted me to keep going. I knew I could only go another mile north because the road was closed since they were replacing the bridge. I drove right up to the road block, put the car in park, and sat there staring at the barricades. I was out in the country, no one else was around. Just me and “Road Closed.”

That is where I am in life, I thought. Sitting at a road block, wondering what to do next. I’ve got a lot of big decisions and changes ahead of me, and am trying to make the right decision.

Then God spoke: “Lauren, sometimes I close roads. You may not know why I close them. Maybe it’s because I am building a new road, and this old one is closed permanently. Or, maybe I close the road because it’s not ready for you, or you are not ready for it. Maybe there is a bridge out and the road is unsafe for you. I know that you could get hurt if you go down that road, so I block it for your safety until I fix it. So, while you are sitting at this Road Closed sign, you have a decision to make: will you trust Me? Or will you throw it into four-wheel and drive around the sign, trying to make your own path through?”

His powerful words rang in my ears as the depth of what He just said sank in. Am I trusting Him at this road block in life, or am I throwing a fit because of the inconvenience it is to me?

I thought of the old hymn by Fanny Crosby: All the Way My Savior Leads Me. One of the lines in there says “Jesus doeth all things well.” All things. Not just some things. Not just most things or only a few things. All things well. When He closes a road, it is well. When He makes a new road and asks me to follow it, it is well.


1 comment:

Kaley said...

Wow. Great thoughts. That's an encouraging way to think about it.