“Influenza B.” the doctor said matter-of-factly, his voice carrying no sympathies. I could tell that he was not a personable doctor when he first walked in the room. I had been lying on the exam table, too sick to sit up, but when he came in the door, I exerted the effort to pull myself into an upright position. “Are you sick?” He had asked. I stared at him, trying to figure out if he was being sarcastic. “Yes” I whispered weakly (I had no voice). He looked down at his clipboard, flipping through the pages. “Well you look good on paper.” I could have puked on him. Every doctor I have ever had has told me that; sometimes I wish I didn’t look good on paper so they would believe me when I tell them I’m miserable! He then checked a few more things and left the room, ordering “Flu test!” as the door closed behind him.
He was kind enough to inform me that I would be feeling miserable for the next 4 or 5 days and there was nothing he could do for me. Personally, I think he got secret pleasure out of that announcement, but I didn’t give him the satisfaction of seeing my despair – I remained expressionless. He seemed to like to appear dramatic without trying. Really?? This is about the patients, not how good you make yourself look. Those kind of people drive me crazy, but I never let them know that of course. I can play the game too.
Anyway, back to the flu…I’m so glad my Dad was there to take me to the doctor; I don’t know what I would have done. He called in reinforcements (Mom) and the next day, they asked if I would like them to take me home so I could rest better. The traffic on the highway outside my house is so loud I can’t rest well; I had not slept well at all the night before, and the thought of sleeping in a dark, quiet room was a beautiful idea.
Mom gave me her motion sickness medicine and Dad gave me some of his Ambien, and we set off on the 6 hour drive. We made it up here ahead of the snow storm, and I collapsed in bed where I did not move or wake up until morning. And yes, we got snowed in…just like everyone else...
That was a week ago and they brought me back home yesterday, even though I am still not my normal self. Today I went to the doctor again since I have been having stomach pain and am extremely tired; it has been 10 days since I went the first time. They ran a strep and a mono test but both came back negative. Apparently I just have a virus that I have to suffer through. The problem is, I have actually been sick for three weeks now. It’s my fault really. When I first got sick, I didn’t think it was that serious, and went right back to work. I didn’t let myself rest enough (being an overachiever and work-aholic is detrimental to one’s health.) Now I’m paying for it…over a week off work. I went in for a little bit today and then brought stuff home to work on. I will be working part time until I am well enough to go back to 8 hours a day. My house is a disaster, and there is so much personal stuff I have to take care of since I have been out of it for awhile...I have 146 unread emails in my inbox! Ahh!! I would appreciate prayers as I continue to get well and try to get back to a functioning life! It has been a difficult time for me, but God is with me through it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment