He got 4th place at Regionals, so he achieved his goal of qualifying for state. We are so excited. This is the first year for the wrestling program, and they had two other boys qualify for state also. My brother has wrestled three years and the two other boys are wrestling for their first year. One of them got 1st at Regionals and the other one got 4th. It's like a story you would see in a movie.
It was such an intense, emotional weekend...for me anyway! I was worn out, and I didn't even have to wrestle! It's hard on the spectators. :)
My brother had a bye the first round, so his first match was in the second round against the #2 seed. Chris did really well! He held his own, and it was obvious they were evenly matched. When it came down to the last 20 seconds of the 3rd round of the match, the other kid was ahead 3-2. I remember thinking "Chris, you cannot lose by one point to the second seed!" and praying like crazy. Suddenly with 17 seconds left on the clock, my brother took the kid down and got back points to win the match 6-3. What a thrill!! He told mom that he was praying; I think all of us were. I was filming and I was so nervous that my hands were shaking while I was trying to hold the camera still.
He got pinned in his second match, but still had one more chance to qualify for state. That match was the next day, so all night I kept waking up and praying that he would win. I suddenly realized that I really wanted my brother to go to state. I had not really thought it was a possibility before now, but he beat the #2 seed at Regionals, so he suddenly has a chance.
I was so nervous as I sat down by the mat to film the match...so much at stake and I was praying hard. He fought hard and smart and as the last seconds ticked away, I looked up at the scoreboard and realized that my brother was winning. That last second seemed like an eternity as we waited for the ref to blow the whistle. My brother won 11-3. We erupted into screams. And I cried.
My brother is going to state.
He lost his final match, but the tension was off because he still got 4th place and the top four finalist advance. Now we are just going to have fun and see what happens.
Way to go, Bro! I'm so proud of you!!
No comments:
Post a Comment