Sorry I haven’t updated for a while. I think the post about apartment life took the last ounce of humor that I had. I was pretty down last week. I don’t want my blog to be depressing, and I hesitate to post things that sound like that. But I also don’t want to be fake. So I’ll be honest.
I’m struggling. I’m not enjoying life right now. It’s meaningless to me. When I try to look into my future, I see nothing but more of what I’m facing and fighting right now. And I want to go home. I don’t mean to some place here on earth, because in reality, I don’t feel like I belong anywhere. I want to go to my Real Home…in Heaven…with Jesus. Escape all these trials and hardships. Yeah, I had great plans for my life, and things I wanted to do before going Home. But now with those dreams slipping away, I find myself staring into nothing. Well, I’ve said enough about that, and I’ll spare you the rest of my thoughts, feelings, and emotions. But I would like to share something else.
I’ve been trying to read a book called “Prepare for Rain” by Michael Catt. It’s the story of the church that produced the movie Facing the Giants and the soon-to-be-released- in-theaters Fireproof (it opens September 26th and you have to go see it!!!). I haven’t gotten very far in the book because I haven’t had time for reading recently. But I found some time the other day when I was in line for the bathroom. Yes, you read that right. You see, another apartment story in itself is the fact that we only have one bathroom. And my family came to visit last week. Do the math. Seven people (five of them girls)…one bathroom…what do you come up with? A long line morning and evening and at certain intervals in between. In fact, I had to skip Sunday School this morning, because I was sitting in rush hour traffic in the hallway. But anyway, back to the book. As I was waiting in line one night about 10:30, I pulled the book out to keep myself from going crazy. I was reading along in chapter 4, and the author started talking about Isaiah 45 (you should read it sometime!). Here is what Michael Catt had to say:
“Sometimes we can’t imagine God working outside our box, our denomination, our theology or our system. I have to admit that it sometimes bothers me that God blesses people I disagree with. I, like the Israelites, would have to say I struggle when God uses someone like Cyrus. But He isn’t bound by my thoughts about how He should work. It bothers me that God uses problems to perfect us. It would be so much easier if he would just zap us with microwave spirituality. I would certainly never vote for God to use a Cyrus. I would never call Cyrus 'God’s anointed.' I had to learn that God is in charge and I’m not— or, as Martin Luther put it, 'Let God be God!' Embracing those four words would revolutionize the way we view life and circumstances beyond our control.”
A couple things stood out to me when I read this. First of all, what he said about Cyrus reminded me about the elections coming up. It’s reassuring to know that God can use a “Cyrus” to accomplish His plans. I hope we elect godly leaders this November, but whatever happens, God is in control. God is in control!!! *exhaling with relief* It also reminded me of the many times I’ve questioned the prosperity of unbelievers. “Why is everything working out for them while life is so hard for me??” Once again, God is in control, and He has different things in mind for them.
The second thing that stood out to me was what he said about God not working in our box. “…we can’t imagine God working outside our box…He isn’t bound by my thoughts about how He should work. It bothers me that God uses problems to perfect us. It would be so much easier if he would zap us with microwave spirituality…I had to learn that God is in charge and I’m not…’Let God be God!’” I often wish I could just skip all these hard lessons, but look at what Isaiah 45:3 says, “And I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, Who calls you by your name.” God has treasures for me in this darkness. He has hidden riches in this secret place He has brought me to. That promise gives me the strength to move on, keep trying, continue fighting. I can only take it one day at a time. Don’t look at the future. Just face today. And look for the treasure in the darkness…even when I'm waiting in line for the bathroom. ;)
8 comments:
Lauren~ Thanks for sharing from your heart. I understand exactly where you are :) Another great book is "Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On" by Stormie Omartian. I'm reading that right now. I am glad - at times like these - that even though I may not know my next step, I know my final destination :) I will be praying for you.
Lauren~ Here is something else I wanted to encourage you with because it encouraged me just recently:
Lamentations 3:18b-26 (NLT)
18 "...Everything I had hoped for from the Lord is lost!”
19 The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words.
20 I will never forget this awful time,as I grieve over my loss.
21 Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this:
22 The faithful love of the Lord NEVER ends!His mercies never cease.
23 Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;therefore, I will hope in him!”
25 The Lord is good to those who depend on him,to those who search for him.
26 So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord.
Hannah~ Thanks so much for your encouragement. Those verses really ministered to me-what a great reminder! And I'll have to check out that book, too. Thanks so much for your prayers and understanding. It helps to know I'm not alone in these struggles. You're a great friend!
Lauren ~ I also really appreciate your honesty. I know what you mean about not wanting a "depressing blog" but I really appreciate it. It helps me know how to pray for you. I AM PRAYING for you! Love ya! :)
Lauren, I am worried about you. You sound depressed. You are much too young to feeling such deep emotions about moving. I will be praying that God will make your heart happy. I love you.
Lauren: Thanks so much for your love and prayers; that means a lot to me right now.
Aunt Anita: I'm sorry you are worried about me. I'm fine; just going through a hard time in my life right now. I'm not an eternal optimist (as I'm sure you know!) so it's hard for me to see the good in things. God's teaching me a lot, and I don't know how many more lessons I have to learn before I can move past this trial, but am trying to trust God as best I know how. I love you, too!
Lauren:
Never, never, never give up on your dreams. Hopes and dreams are what keep us motivated for a better tomorrow. All within God's will, of course. God's word says he has a plan for you that will give you hope and future. So keep dreaming those dreams and hang in there.
Aunt Carol
Aunt Carol, wow, you are reading my blog! :) Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. You're right. A person should never quit dreaming. Some dreams change, some dreams fade when we realize God has better things in store, and then (best of all!) some dreams become reality. So, I will heed your advice and continue dreaming! Thanks again, and I love you!!
Post a Comment