I have been doing a lot of seeking, praying, meditating, and fasting. I think it is good for me to be driven to this place because I learn more about the nature of God and how He views me. It turns my mindset from these temporal trials to the eternal-ness of God's plans.
I have found myself pouring over the Psalms, searching for little jewels of comfort and hope to lead my through these days. The Psalms are packed with good stuff!! Because of the sufferings and trials of God's people thousands of years ago, we are blessed with these Divinely inspired words to give us insight into our own struggles. Just one more reason that I know God can use struggles for good...not only in our own life, but also in the lives of others.
Psalm 119:71: It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes. KJV
I have read that verse before with the reassurance that affliction is good and is sent to teach us. But when I read it this time, the very last word caught my attention.
Statutes.
Just what exactly does He mean by that anyway? Commands? Laws?
The Amplified Bible uses the same word. NIV uses decrees. Rather than look up other various translations, I decided to cut right to the heart of the issue.
Enter the Strong's Concordance and Vine's Dictionary. I can feel my mother's smile now. Yes, she taught me well; and oh how I love research. Truly.
The word "statutes" in this verse is found on page 974 in the concordance. As you will see when you look it up (you are reaching for that 50 pound hunk-of-a-book sitting on your coffee table next to you, aren't you?), it has the number 2706 next to it, cross-referencing it with the Vine's Dictionary (it's the 20 pound book next to the concordance). We will now look up "statutes" in the Vine's and it just so happens to be on page 244. There are two Hebrew variations of this word, 2706 and 2708 (no, I cannot pronounce them or spell them out here so if ya wanna see them you will have to look them up). Remember, our word is the "2706" Hebrew word. Now that we are past the tutorial portion of my research - aren't you proud, Mom? - I will let you know what I discovered in case you can't actually look it up right at the moment.
2706 - "statute; prescription; rule; law; regulation."
I find it interesting that "prescription" is in there because so often when we think of "rule" or "law" we get a negative picture. As if there is a strict dictator hovering over us waiting to pounce. But what if you think of it as a "prescription" to help you get better? A mental image of the doctor handing me a prescription for Tamiflu came to mind; what a relief that piece of paper was and oh the hope it brought me!
So, through affliction, we learn His prescriptions: what to do to become better. That is not a negative thing at all!
Vine's goes on to say that 2706 also has synonyms such as commandment, judgment, covenant, law, and testimony.
Here, the word "covenant" jumped out at me. Our God is a covenant God. The Bible is full of His covenants, and yes they apply to us today. This word emphasizes the authority and grace of God in making and keeping His covenants. It gives me a sense of security; and reminds me of all the promises I have in Him. God will be faithful to His word. There is hope in His covenants.
So, in a way, Psalm 119:71 is also saying that through affliction we learn His covenants. Affliction actually gives us hope as we are brought to total dependence on His Covenant to see us through.
Wow, God. So my next prayer is "Let my heart be sound in Thy statutes; that I be not ashamed." (vs. 80) May I walk continually and more fully in Your covenant grace.
If you want to continue researching, check out the words "covenant" and "affliction."
btw: you can also check out Strong's concordance and Vine's Dictionary online if you don't have the heavyweight hard copy edition :)
3 comments:
Very good, Lauren! I am proud of you. :)
Mom
:) I knew you would like it! I'm so glad you taught me how to use the concordance and dictionary!
Love you!
Love you too!
Post a Comment