Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's not about me...

This post might seem kind of random, but it’s something that has been on my heart for awhile. I don’t know if my ramblings will make sense, but I’m going to give it a try!


“Even today we have people who live an inconsistent Christian life because they have become preoccupied with things that are external. Therefore they focus on their circumstances rather than focusing on God. And God desires that we grow in our ability to see Him in everything and to realize the importance of seemingly insignificant circumstances if they are used to deliver a message from Him.” ~From “Streams in the Desert”

It’s so easy to get caught up in life here on earth. We have school, jobs, church, and endless activities that demand our time and attention. Even if we are doing good things that will impact eternity we can get distracted from the purpose. Many Christians today— and I’m so guilty of this— forget about the eternal and focus on the temporal. We must seek to have an eternal mindset, to work with eternity in view, to live out our lives and faith in a way that points to our true destination. Life is more than a paycheck, a car, or a house. Life is more than a lay-off, an engine problem, or temporary housing. God is at work everywhere, in everything. I must find out how He is working, and seek to get involved. I must not get frustrated by my circumstances, but ask God what He’s trying to show me through them. I must not get depressed by feelings of insignificance, but allow God to speak to me and draw me closer to Him while He has me in this “hidden place.” I’m so tempted to get wrapped up in a career for myself, or do what I want to do, but that’s not why I’m here. I’m not on earth for me...Someone died for me, why should I live for myself??

No comments: