Friday, July 18, 2008

Surrender

Earlier this year, I stumbled on a daily devotional book entitled “Streams in the Desert.” It’s been a life-saver this year, or maybe more accurately, a faith-saver. God has used it countless times to strengthen my weak faith and encourage my weary heart on the long, hard journey this year. Here’s something from a couple days ago that jumped out at me:

From the time of Abraham, people have been learning that when they obey God’s voice and surrender to Him whatever they hold most precious, He multiplies it thousands of times...This is exactly how God deals with every child of His when we truly sacrifice. We surrender everything we own and accept poverty— then He sends wealth. We leave a growing area of ministry at His command— then He provides one better than we had ever dreamed. We surrender all our cherished hopes and die to self— then He sends overflowing joy and His “life...that [we] might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). “After waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised” (Heb. 6:15), and so will you. The moment of your greatest sacrifice will also be the precise moment of your greatest and most miraculous blessing...Indeed, there is nothing God will not do for those who will dare to step out in faith onto what appears to be only a mist. As they take their first step, they will find a rock beneath their feet.

God has been so faithful and patient with me; He never gives up on me. When I am weak, He is strong! The journey can be hard, but the lessons are priceless, and I've come to the place where I can thank Him for the lessons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The moment of your greatest sacrifice will also be the precise moment of your greatest and most miraculous blessing" - - That is really good Lauren. I know that God has and is continueing to do the same work in my life and heart. It seems as though when God asks me to surrender something, and I do, there is always something else right after that He asks me to surrender. I think that keeps us humble and dependent on Him though. Good post.