Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Benched

I have been reading a book called “Playing with Purpose.” It’s about the three top new NFL quarterbacks Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, and Tim Tebow and their faith. I know some people don’t care about football like I do, and I know some people care a lot more about it than I do, but football has always been my favorite sport and I was excited to watch these three particular qb’s in college football since they were so outspoken about their faith. I thought this book would be interesting, but never expected to be so impacted by what I read. I am not finished yet, so I’m sure there will still be more revelations, but I wanted to share a statement by Bradford. Some of you may remember that he was a redshirt freshman, so his first semester at OU was difficult for him since he couldn’t get in on the action.

“I really struggled; I really struggled with the Lord because I came here and wasn’t getting to play. I was sitting on the bench. I was having to wake up at 5 a.m. to go to workouts. That was a totally new concept to me. Every sport I’d played in, I always played. I never sat on the bench. So I kind of turned my back on the Lord. I was like, ‘Why are You doing this to me? Why are You putting me in this situation?’”

That statement slapped me in the face. Sam Bradford: famous OU quarterback, Heisman trophy winner, number 1 NFL Draft pick of 2010. He struggled. He questioned. And he admitted it. Looking back now, he can see God’s sovereignty in his life. But before all his fame and achievements, before everything worked out, he had doubts and questions while facing unexpected circumstances.

Benched. Watching from the sidelines. Helpless, frustrated, impatient. Working so hard. Doing everything right, but not reaping the rewards. Watching life happen, wondering what my calling is. Why am I here?

I have felt the same way lately. I have asked the same questions Sam Bradford asked God, “Why are You doing this to me? Why are You putting me in this situation?” Sometimes I don’t understand the reason; sometimes I don’t see the benefits; sometimes I feel like I am not getting anywhere. That is when I need to persevere and endure.

Luke 21:19
By your steadfastness and patient endurance you shall win the true life of your souls.

Romans 15:4
For whatever was thus written in former days was written for our instruction, that by [our steadfast and patient] endurance and the encouragement [drawn] from the Scriptures we might hold fast to and cherish hope.

Hebrews 6:12
In order that you may not grow disinterested and become [spiritual] sluggards, but imitators, behaving as do those who through faith (by their leaning of the entire personality on God in Christ in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness) and by practice of patient endurance and waiting are [now] inheriting the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For you have need of steadfast patience and endurance, so that you may perform and fully accomplish the will of God, and thus receive and carry away [and enjoy to the full] what is promised.

James 1:12
Blessed (happy, to be envied) is the man who is patient under trial and stands up [under temptation, for when he has stood the test and been approved, he will receive [the victor’s] crown of life which God has promised to those who love Him.

4 comments:

HR said...

Excellent thoughts, Lauren! I can relate in so many ways!!!

And the greatest freedom comes from admitting you have those questions, you're right! I've cried them, shouted them. I believe God loves it when we're real.

Lauren said...

Amen! And when we are honest with God, it deepens our relationship with Him. When I came to the point in my life that I started taking my questions to God, I grew sooo much closer to Him! I'm so glad that God is bigger than our questions!

Kaley :) said...

Yeah, it's really encouraging to know that someone else has been here, done this, and God was faithful and worked it all out amazingly for them in the end.

Btw, as soon as you're done with the book... :)

Lauren said...

Yeah, I finished it so you can get it when you come see me for Thanksgiving!!