Friday, August 22, 2008

A Welcome Surprise

Yesterday as I was stocking the shelves in my department at work, I heard someone say “Excuse me…” Thinking it was one of the many customers I get every day asking for assistance with something, I turned around to see how I could help them. To my surprise, my sister Kaley was standing there with her little mischievous grin on her face and camera in hand.

I was so shocked I couldn’t even say anything for a minute. I was trying to figure out how she could have possibly gotten there since she doesn’t have a car and dad wasn’t supposed to be back until Saturday.

“How did…what are…HOW DID YOU GET HERE???” I finally managed to say.

She snickered, “Weeelllll, dad called me today…”

Aha, I knew he had to be behind this. I turned around to look down the aisle behind me. Alright, where is he? Sure enough, he came walking around the corner with a big, silly grin on his face.

Evidently, dad’s crew got to come home early, and he decided to drop by and surprise me at work. The two conniving plotters were quite proud of themselves, and enjoyed every minute of the surprise attack, I’m sure. Kaley got the whole thing on tape, but I have yet to see it.

I had to work a little late, but after I got off, I called them and we met up again and went to dinner. It was a very fun evening, and the highlight of my week.

I’m closing again tonight. I enjoyed closing on Wednesday; I’m not sure why, but maybe it was because I got to meet some of the people I work with, or it could have been the fact that all the customers left and it was quiet. :) I liked straightening shelves and making sure everything was picked up off the floor...it’s the perfectionist coming out in me. However, the drive home might have been the best part of all. Driving down a dark, empty road with the windows down and music playing is just so refreshing! The only bad thing was I arrived home wide awake and I couldn’t go to sleep until midnight and then had to get up at 6:30 the next morning to go to work!

God has been so good to me this week. He has helped me face every new day at work, and helped me overcome every difficulty in my path. He has even helped me find my way around this new city! One time, I was going to try to take a shortcut to Wal-mart, but I ended up taking a scenic route instead! I didn’t get lost, though and because I’ve driven around here with my parents looking at houses, I was able to drive straight to where I needed to be. Also, twice I was looking for a specific store, and thought I had gone too far, so I started to turn around, and each time, I looked up and saw the store sign right in front of me. I know that probably doesn’t sound amazing to you all, but for a girl hundreds of miles away from her family, friends, and home state, it’s very comforting. It seems like God puts me right where I need to be.

I’m also very grateful for internet access, too! Without it, I would feel even more separated from you.

I gotta go get ready for work! Thanks for stopping by, and have a good Friday!!

No comments: